Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Chicken Cordon Bleu Soup.

Most nights I cook dinner for myself and my son. My daughter is incredibly picky so she usually will only eat things she likes. My husband works till late at night so it's really only me I'm cooking for. I'm constantly trying new recipes out, that I can make on the nights my hubby is home for dinner. Tonight was one of those nights and I gave a new recipe a shot.

It was a soup I found online and it was called Chicken Cordon Bleu Soup. I am a huge fan of regular chicken cordon bleu so I of course was immediately excited to try it.

To start out you need to make a roux. A roux is equal parts butter and flour mixture used for sauces or soups to thicken it.

So I melted my butter on low heat until it was completely melted. Then I sprinkled about half of my flour into the pan and stirred until incorporated and then added the rest and mixed it really well. Once all combined you continue to stir and cook on low heat for about 2 to 3 minutes. It usually starts to smell a little nutty.

This is what it should look like after its ready.

Once it is done you pour in your half and half, and milk. I then crumbled up two chicken bouillon granules into the mixture until there was no bouillon floating on top. After that I turned the heat up to medium and let it heat up.

Once it was at this stage I added an 8 oz softened cream cheese block into it. I took my whisk and stirred it around. It took a while but it finally broke down and melted into the soup. I made sure to constantly stir it so that it didn't burn to the bottom or not melt properly.

Next comes the meats. I bought an already cooked rotisserie chicken from the store and I pulled some meat off of it and chopped it up into fairly small pieces. I also cooked some bacon ahead of time and cut them up into small pieces. The final meat needed is ham. You can either get the pre diced/cubed ham at the store of buy a ham and cut it up how you want, or even tear some deli up into pieces. However you want it! To save time I got pre-diced ham.



After the meats are ready I threw them in and gave it a stir. I let them heat on the stove for a bit, before adding anything else. Once it was back to reaching boiling I added the last and best ingredient.


SWISS CHEESE! You can't have cordon bleu without some swiss cheese. I just bought a small bag of shredded cheese. I just went ahead and threw the whole bag in. Yes, that's a lot of cheese, but it is so good. Trust me.
So I threw the cheese in and stirred it until melted. Once it is all melted I added some salt and pepper and it was done.
I dished some up in a bowl and I topped it with some bacon that was left over.


My roll went amazingly with it!


Cast of characters ::

1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
2 1/2 cups half and half
2 1/2 cups milk
1 tablespoon chicken base, or two chicken bouillon cubes broke up
8 oz. cream cheese
3 cups chopped rotisserie chicken
1/2 cup ham
1 cup bacon
2 cup grated or shredded swiss cheese

In soup pot melt butter, and then add flour. Stir while cooking for about 2 minutes. Add half and half, milk, and chicken bouillon. Heat till right before reaching a boil, and then add in cream cheese. Stir until melted and incorporated. Once it reaches a boil add in chicken, bacon, and ham. If any of the meats were cold let them sit and heat for a few minutes before adding in cheese. Once ready add cheese and stir until melted. Season how you want.
Now eat up!

-KJ


1 comment: